Monday, April 4, 2011

Pillow Talk.

Guess what?! 

I made a PILLOW. It is the wonkiest thing EVER but I MADE IT. 
See? Terrible. 
It was my first time sewing ANYTHING. Can you tell? haha 
But that doesn't stop me from doing this    :D

That's me with a big 'ol smile. 

This pillow is phase 1 of my master plan to overthrow the lingering bachelor pad that is our living room. 

As you can see, our apartment is still suffering from a case of Leftover Bachelor Pad Syndrome, or LBPS. The only known cure for LBPS is to cover up chrome and black leather bachelor sofa with 1. pillows and 2. chrome on MY terms. 

And since the hubs (former bachelor in question) spent WAAAAY to much on them. They are here to stay (until I can figure out how to get rid of them).

And the chrome on my terms thing isn't so bad. Lately I've been embracing the Palm Beach/ Hollywood Regency thing. Good thing since we're in Palm Beach County, eh?

Take our friend,  New Mr. Coffee Table. Mr. Coffee table currently looks pretty awesome, and I bet he knows it. (Or, as awesome as I can make him while still going with our couches)

Before, it was this dude. Old Mr. Coffee Table. 

Not bad,  but I like the updated look.  Sidenote: I bet some of you out there have your guys peeking over your shoulder and just said "oh, that's not bad, I like that."

figures. 
  I also softened up the harsh lines and black leather with slightly feminine, vintage and natural accessories, and played off the chrome in items like vintage keys, mercury glass, and other shiny things. 

Oh, the best part? That chrome base was $5. Yeah. Five. Dollas. 

And that stuff on top of it, let's see- the tray is a vintage picture frame just with the glass ($2), the coasters are super heavy kind of bronze coral/bamboo texture ($4 for 6) and that other stuff is just pulled from other places in the house.
Balance and contrast is so key in any room but especially when you are trying to offset elephant-in-the-room peices. Oh well, they're comfy at least!

xo, 
Margaret

3 comments:

  1. Love the attempt. I think you just left too much fabric. Should be easy to fix. Mind you, I speak like I know a thing about sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you girl! That coffee table went from bad (sorry hubs:)) to super cool! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pillow fabric! I actually used the same exact fabric to reupholster my dining room chairs! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!